Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Is This Elijah's Tree?

Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, while he himself went a day's journey into the desert. He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. "I have had enough, Lord," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors." Then he lay down under the tree and fell asleep. (1 Kings 19:3-7)

Every time we're out in the desert driving and I see one of these trees... in the middle of no where... I can't help but to think of Elijah. Is this a "broom tree"? I haven't a clue really... but to me just seeing this tree makes me think of Elijah. It is amazing though all the amazing things God had done through Elijah (the profits of Baal and the drought and prayer for rain were just a few of them) before getting to this tree in the middle of no where... he had been on a super spiritual high that followed by this super spiritual low. Ups and downs... sounds like my life... what about yours? What's so cool though is God's faithfulness in all circumstances.

Even here in the middle of no where the Lord fed him. I know it's so easy to get to the "middle of no where" in our society with all the distractions we have ... tv, phones, ipods, work... the list really is endless... our enemy would like nothing more than for us to wander around in the wilderness for 40 years... I think Psalm 139:1-7 is a real source of encouragement ...

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O Lord.
You hem me in - behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

No comments: