Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Greek Tragedy

It's interesting, I don't remember if I've ever read any of the Greek Tragedies while in High School... British Lit and Shakespeare, yes... but in any event I'm taking basic Humanities next semester and started reading Sophocles and The Theban Plays... and I've actually enjoyed it... what's more, I have found it very interesting to see that there was a concept of honoring one's word... no matter the cost to oneself... 2,400 years ago. I at least see why this book is part of the course curriculum now ... it's quite a lesson in honor, even in the incredibly weird stories given...

While reading Antigone I was impressed with her statement "We have only a little time to please the livings, but all eternity to love the dead." Wow... that's absolutely right... and in the context she was saying this she knew the right thing she needed to do could cost her her life... and then I think of how this relates to life today... it's not about being a "man pleaser" that is important in this life now, it's about doing what is right now... and that will have eternal rewards from our Heavenly Father. It's a matter of living a life that is surrendered to the will of Christ today... and everyday.

No comments: