Monday, June 29, 2009

I must Be Retired.... 'Cause I'm Blogging Again

Funny... now that we're back here in the states... and the dust from retiring from the Navy is starting to settle... I'm feeling a little more "at ease" and yes... starting to blog again... I have to admit that leading up to the retirement I had so many thoughts on my mind... and mostly from my younger days in the military... days being the Master Helmsman of a U.S. ship pulling out of port or arriving into port... or while refueling while sailing out at sea... or while attempting to get very close to another larger ship so we could throw lines across to the other ship so we could tow them to port... my oh my... so very many memories come to mind when I think of 24 years of service to the U.S. Navy... deployments to so many different countries that I'd love to go back to.... visits to so many different cities ... Bali, Townsville, Darwin, Singapore, Hong Kong, Kure, Okinawa, Hobart (Australia), Nukualofa (Tonga), Noumea (New Caledonia), Yokosuka, Pusan, Phuket, Kwajalein and Majuro (Marshal Islands), and of course the places that we've lived... London, Naples, Manila, and Cairo... what's amazing is how much the Lord was able to use me (or us) despite of myself... I've attached a silhouette pic of the USS Fletcher DD-992 ... I spent 5 years on the "Fighting Jack" and it was there that I matured as a Sailor while gaining a new love for the sea....

No comments: